Find out if you're eligible to apply for an Incentive Scholarship. To apply, you will need to:
1. be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
2. be currently completing your final year of initial teacher education studies at a recognised Australian university or tertiary institution. Your studies will need to meet the department's and the NSW Education Standards Authority's (NESA) academic requirements for employment as a secondary teacher of a high-demand subject area or a special education (K-12) teacher.
3. The subject areas of need are:
- science (with physics)
- Technological and Applied Studies (TAS) (design and technology in combination with engineering studies or industrial technology – metal, timber or graphics)
4. not already hold a Teacher Education Scholarship.
5. have submitted an application to teach in NSW public schools through the department's Graduate Recruitment Program (GRP).
6. be willing to accept appointment as a permanent full time teacher to a NSW public school in an agreed location on completion of your studies for a minimum period of three consecutive years.
7. (if you have not completed the full four years of required higher education in a country where English is the main language) be able to demonstrate that your English language proficiency is of a standard which would enable you to teach and interact effectively and confidently in a NSW school. You will be required to undertake an assessment of your English language proficiency – this is a requirement to gain an approval to teach in NSW public schools.
The location preferences you selected in your Graduate Recruitment application will be considered as the areas where you would like to be appointed on completion of your studies. If you wish to include any additional school education areas you can select either "Anywhere in the state" or one or more individual school education areas. If you select to be appointed "Anywhere in the state", you are agreeing to be appointed to a school in one of the following school education areas: Albury, Armidale, Bankstown, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Blacktown, Bondi, Bourke, Broken Hill, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Clarence/Coffs Harbour, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Fairfield, Granville, Griffith, Hornsby, Lake Macquarie, Lismore, Liverpool, Maitland, Moree, Mount Druitt, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Northern Beaches, Orange, Parramatta, Penrith, Port Jackson, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Ryde, Shellharbour, St George, Sutherland, Tamworth, Taree, Tweed Heads/Ballina, Wagga Wagga, Windsor, Wollongong. If you wish to include any additional individual school education areas, you should note that your chances of receiving a scholarship are enhanced if you select metropolitan locations where teachers are in high demand and/or non-coastal rural or remote locations where teachers are in high demand. The metropolitan areas where teachers are in high demand are Bankstown, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Fairfield, Granville, Liverpool and Mount Druitt. The non-coastal rural areas where teachers are in high demand are Albury, Armidale, Bathurst, Bourke, Broken Hill, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Griffith, Moree, Orange, Tamworth, Wagga Wagga.