Overseas-trained teachers

If you have completed teacher education studies at a tertiary institution outside of Australia and would like to teach in NSW public schools, you will need to be accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and gain approval to teach by the NSW Department of Education.

NESA will assess your university qualifications and provide an accreditation decision to you. Refer to the NESA website for more information about applying for and gaining accreditation for overseas-trained teachers.

If your teacher education studies were completed in a country where English is not the main language, NESA accreditation requirements include the need to demonstrate that your English language proficiency is of a standard which would enable you to teach and interact effectively and confidently in a NSW school.

If you did not complete a full four years of tertiary study from a country where English is the main language, you will be required by NESA to demonstrate your English language competency by undertaking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This is a requirement to gain accreditation to teach in NSW prior to seeking an approval to teach in NSW public schools. NESA will advise you if you need to undertake IELTS.

Please note that to apply for permanent teaching positions in NSW public schools you will need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.