Career changers, this is your step-by-step guide to becoming a teacher in a NSW public school
- Decide what type of teacher you would like to become. Note: Becoming a teacher of a high-demand subject area would increase your chances of employment in NSW public schools.
- Find out what teacher education course you will need to complete in order to become the type of teacher you want to be. If you have existing tertiary qualifications you may be eligible for course credit and only have to complete a Graduate Diploma in Education or a Master of Teaching over one or two years. Note: to teach in NSW public schools, you will need to complete teacher education studies at a recognised Australian teacher education institution. Your studies will need to meet the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) academic requirements for employment as a teacher. The Department has a number of programs on offer whereby future teachers get paid to study to become teachers of high-demand subject areas and in high-demand metropolitan or rural and remote locations.
NESA provides additional information on how to get into a postgraduate secondary teaching degree.
- Apply for admission to the university course you've decided to study through the University Admissions Centre
- Complete your teacher education studies - share your teaching journey via Instagram with #teachnsw
- Apply for approval to teach in NSW public schools through the Graduate Recruitment Program
- Get accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- Apply for advertised teaching positions.
Get paid to study
We have a number of programs available to support career changers wishing to teach in NSW public schools. You could get paid while you study and be guaranteed a permanent teaching position when you graduate with a:
- Teacher Education Scholarship
- Teacher Education Scholarship - Aboriginal
- Great Teaching, Inspired Learning Internship.
Still debating whether or not teaching is the right career choice for you? Find out more about teaching as a career and the types of teachers that are in high demand on the explore teaching webpage.