Experienced NSW public school teachers
If you are a qualified teacher returning to teaching in NSW public schools after an absence of five years or more, or wanting to upgrade your approval from limited approval (casual approval) to full approval (permanent employment), you will need to re-apply for approval to teach.
Once you have been accredited to teach by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and approved to teach by the department, you will be able to work as a teacher and apply for advertised temporary and permanent teaching positions.
You can apply for approval to teach via our online application system. Approval to teach involves a number of important steps outlined below.
Changes from 2019
In 2019 the approval to teach process is undergoing change to ensure our students have access to high-quality teachers.
This includes new online enhancements to streamline the submission of your application and supporting documentation and new requirements all teachers need to meet to receive approval to teach in NSW public schools.
These new requirements include the need for qualified teachers seeking approval to teach to:
- provide evidence of successful teaching experience
- complete a teacher suitability assessment, measuring cognitive and emotional intelligence*
- be interviewed to validate the results from these assessments
*Note: arrangements for the implementation of the teacher suitability assessment measuring cognitive and emotional intelligence aare currently being finalised by the department and will be updated soon.
Information and advice about the enhanced requirements for experienced teachers will be updated and available throughout the year. Make sure you sign up to be alerted of new information when it becomes available and explore the frequently asked questions.
Your pathway to employment
1. Get ready to apply
Before you begin your application you will need:
- A valid NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) for paid employment from the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian and
- Accreditation as a teacher in NSW through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). If you need to apply for accreditation, you will need to do this before commencing your approval to teach application.
2. Start your application
Now you are ready to apply for approval to teach in NSW public schools.
- In the online application you will be asked to provide your personal information, including details of your WWCC and NESA accreditation and select the areas or schools where you would prefer to work.
- You can now submit your application. Once your application for approval to teach has been successfully submitted you will be sent an email acknowledging receipt
3. Progress your application
This is the step where you will be invited to book your interview.
- You will receive an email once your application has been assessed and validated, included are details of the subjects you are accredited in and the next steps you will need to complete.
- At this step you will retrieve your application and be invited to book your interview.
4. Finalise your application
These are the final important actions you need to take in order to gain full approval to teach with the NSW Department of Education.
- It is now time to participate in an interview and demonstrate your capabilities to be a high quality teacher in NSW public schools.
- You will be notified via email of the outcome of your application for approval to teach.
- It is a great idea to subscribe to JobFeed to receive a weekly list of available permanent and temporary jobs to start your teaching career in NSW public schools.
Experienced teacher salary determination
For the purposes of establishing commencing salary rate at the time of employment, experienced teachers with relevant teaching service and/or pre-service care for a child may submit an application for salary determination.
You may submit an application for salary determination along with relevant supporting documentations via email to email@example.com within six months of the three prescribed salary determination points:
- Approval to teach application
- Acceptance of permanent appointment
- For in-service casual or temporary teachers engaged from 27 January 2016 and has relevant teaching experience equivalent to full year/s (comprised of continuous one school term blocks) which has been completed since approval to teach was granted or their last engagement with the department.
Note: Statements of service are not required for requests involving recognition of teaching experience in NSW public schools.
For non NSW public school teaching service, statements of service must be included as attachments for each period of teaching and must include dates worked; unpaid leave taken (or confirmation that none was taken) and full time equivalent or number of school days worked during the period. Any salary adjustments to be made following a salary determination will be effective from the first pay period commencing on or after the date a completed application is received by the department.
Information and related documents regarding salary determination are available at https://education.nsw.gov.au/about-us/jobs-and-opportunities/why-choose-us/salaries-and-allowances
Read the FAQs
Get answers to your questions about the approval to teach process.